Did you know that when you lack quality sleep, the effects are more than just you becoming grumpy and irritable?
Yes you’ve read that right! There are so many negative effects of not get getting enough sleep every night. If you are curious, then continue reading because we will be discussing how sleep deprivation can affect your mind and body.
- It can negatively affect your immune system. When this happens, your body will have a hard time defending you from various diseases. According to experts, there is a direct relationship between sleep and the condition of your immune system. So, if you do not want to become sickly, then don’t forget to get adequate sleep.
- The sharpness of your memory will also be affected. The rationale behind this is related to your ability to learn efficiently. If you are always sleep-deprived, then you will have a hard time focusing, when this happens, it will be harder for you to remember things. On a more scientific level, studies found out that sleep helps in strengthening nerve connections. This, in turn, helps to sharpen your memories.
- Lack of sleep can have a serious effect on your over-all health. Studies suggest that having sleep disorders put you at risk of developing health conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, stroke and even diabetes.
- Aside from the health conditions we have listed above, you will also be more at risk of developing cancer. There is a high incidence of breast and colorectal cancer among those who do not get enough sleep every night.
- Sleep deprivation can also affect your sex drive. If you are always sleep-deprived, the tendency is for you to have lower libido, or interest in sex. Aside from the effect on a hormonal level, this also happens because of depleted energy.
- Aside from being irritable, you are also putting yourself at risk of depression. One study found out that people who are suffering insomnia are ten times more likely to develop depression. In so many ways, lack of sleep and depression are interconnected.
- If you are looking to decrease your weight, then you should get enough sleep per night. According to a study, lack of quality sleep can cause you to gain more pounds in the long run. Those people are also the ones at risk of becoming obese.
- Lack of sleep is not good for the skin. Sleepless nights can cause premature signs of aging. You can expect to see wrinkles, fine lines and dry skin. This happens because of the hormone cortisol. If you are always sleep-deprived, your body will release more of this stress hormone. When this happens, it acts on the skin by breaking down collagen, which is important to keep the skin elastic and smooth.
- You are more prone to accidents. This is related to your inability to focus. According to National Sleep Foundation, you are three times more likely to get involved in an accident if you only have six hours of sleep every night. So, before you get behind that wheel, make sure that you had a refreshing sleep the night before.
So, what can you do to ensure that you get quality sleep every night?
- Get a best mattress with a perfect firmness. This is often overlooked. Keep in mind that this is important. Ask for the opinion of an expert when buying a new one.
- Avoid eating a heavy meal before retiring to bed.
- Have a bedtime ritual that is relaxing.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol hours before bedtime.
Just like what we have mentioned earlier, there are so many effects lack of sleep. If you do not want to experience these problems, make sure to follow the tips we have listed above.…