On a comparison chart showing the features of innerspring versus memory foam mattresses, the only feature that gets ticked on both is the coolness while sleeping.box. In all the other boxes it is just the memory foam boxes that get ticked.
Mattress Support Comparison:
Spring Mattresses: At first you may get the feeling of comfort when lying down, but it does not offer sufficient support. Spring mattresses push back against your body, and because of the areas carrying more weight on your body, it cannot give equal support over the whole of the body. This cause pressure points which leads to poor blood circulation and aches and pains.
Memory Foam Mattresses: Memory foam mattresses distribute your body weight evenly throughout. Memory foam takes on the contours of the body and does not push back. Pressure points are reduced to as much as 80%. Memory foam mattresses have a unique combination of support and reduced pressure point relieve that promote pain relief and the prevention of pain.
Pros and Cons of Spring Mattress versus Memory Foam Mattress:
- Low cost – these mattresses do not cost much to manufacture.
- Durability – spring mattresses can last 7 – 10 years
- Support –within the first two years the mattress usually start sagging and lose about 16% of its support in the first year.
- Poor Back Support – innersprings do not offer the support your back needs and do not promote spinal alignment.
Memory Foam Mattress:
- Pressure Distribution – memory foam mattresses can relieve pressure better than other types of mattresses.
- No Motion Transfer – means that when you move, the whole bed does not move, waking up your partner or disturbing their sleep.
- The Price – can become expensive depending on the quality of the materials used.
- Feeling like sinking in – because a memory foam mattress will adjust to your body contours, you might get the sensations that you are sinking into the mattress or getting stuck.
Both these mattresses have their pros and cons. Spring mattresses will be able to handle the wear and tear because the springs act as a shock absorber. Memory foam mattresses will distribute your weight evenly, but if you like a firm mattress, you won’t find it in memory foam.
However, some may feel that spring mattresses should have died long ago, they need more maintenance and does not give all the benefits of comfort and support that a Memory foam mattress does.